Skip to main content

Helping to feed those in need

The Y is committed to nurturing the potential of all youth, and making sure they have access to nutritious foods is part of that commitment.

The YMCA is an afterschool meal program provider. We provide meals to various sites to promote healthy eating for any child under the age of 18 years old. All meals that are provided are free of charge.

Nothing is more fundamental to ensuring that children can learn, grow, and thrive than consistent access to healthy meals. Youth-serving organizations like the Y are on the front lines of providing healthy meals to children experiencing food insecurity.

The Y is a leading provider of the USDA’s Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) providing healthy meals and snacks to thousands of kids alongside vital afterschool and summer enrichment activities. Over two years, Y have served over 20,000 meals and snacks to hundreds of kids in need at no cost to families.

With a commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living, and fostering a sense of social responsibility, the YMCA of the Blue Water Area ensures that every individual has access to the essentials needed to learn, grow and thrive.

The goal of the program is to improve the diets of children and increase the opportunity for children to eat a variety of nutritious foods.  The meals and snacks served meet standards established by the United States Department of Agriculture for the Child and Adult Care Food Program.  For further information contact:  Marika Beecherl, YMCA of the Blue Water Area, 1525 3rd Street, Port Huron, MI 48040; 810-987-6400 ext. 128


What is the Child Nutrition Program?

The Child Nutrition Program is funded by the USDA and designed to provide kids and teens ages 18 and under with healthy meals.

What are the requirements for my child or teen to receive a meal?

Do I have to fill out an application form? There is no application or registration required to receive a meal. You do not have to provide proof of income, residency, or citizenship. Just show up!

Do meals have to be eaten on-site?

Yes, due to federal regulations, all meals must be consumed on-site. Children can take one fruit, vegetable, or grain item from their meal off-site to eat later.

Is there a cost?

No. All meals offered through the USDA’s programs are free to all kids and teens ages 18 and under.

Can parents or guardians pick up meals on behalf of their kids?

No. Due to changes at the federal level. Parents and guardians can no longer pick-up meals on behalf of their kids and meals must be consumed on-site. However, many meal sites include fun activities for kids and the whole family.

What kind of food is served at these sites?

The meals served are healthy and meet USDA guidelines. A typical lunch, for example, could include a turkey sandwich on wheat bread, milk, an apple, and a salad.

Non-discrimination statement

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: 202-690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider

Food Program Sponsors